Hearing Loss is Invisible

  • You may hear but do not understand.
  • You may have difficulty understanding the radio, TV, and public address systems.
  • You may find yourself misunderstanding others or asking them to repeat themselves.
  • You may find yourself pretending to understand.
  • You may avoid people and isolate yourself.


Some people go directly to an audiologist. Audiologists are highly educated and trained health care professionals qualified to do a through evaluation of your hearing. The audiologist can determine the type and degree of hearing loss and whether or not you can be helped by a hearing aid (or aids); and if so, what type of hearing aid would be best for you. Based on the results of a professional evaluation, the audiologist may recommend a medical evaluation.

Check to see if the audiologist's title includes the letters CCC-A (Certificate of Clinical Competence - Audiology). This indicates certification from the American Speech- Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). They may also have state licensure which is a license to practice in a specific state.

Call ASHA toll-free at (800) 638- 8255, or the American Academy of Audiology at (800) AAA-2336, for audiologists in your area.